Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Google Maps Demo, Check It Out

You really need to check out our demo of Pentaho's Google Maps integration, put together courtesy of Jake Cornelius, Product Manager for Pentaho Dashboards.

I like this demo for alot of reasons, but first for it's content quality. I will be the first to admit, I have a short attention span for any type of sales or marketing related collateral. Unless it's funny or can incorporate a bit of irony, I tend to hear the adults in Charles Schulz's Peanuts cartoons - wah, wah, wah, wah, wah.

Jake's demo is a great, get-to-the-point example of location intelligence - solving a problem that has a geographical component in the equation. Jake takes you through a common case where a business executive takes a trip to the East Coast, and wants to know who are the key customers by sales volume he should visit during his travels. They need to be big spenders and - that geographic component - should be located relatively close to one another so he can maximize the number of customers he can visit.

The solution was simple with Pentaho BI and Google Maps. Check it out - you will be impressed.

From a developer's point of view, I liked the demo because I know I can download this solution in the Pre-Configured Install, and not only do I have a great example Pentaho Dashboard that I can pick apart, but I also get to see AJAX and the Google Maps API in action. For the hands-on learner like myself, this demo is a nice introduction to some very cool tools I can now put in my BI toolbox.

So go get it. Download it, listen to it (it's less than 8 minutes long) and come back and tell me what you think. Not your typical demo, right?

4 comments :

Anonymous said...

Hi G, im a pentaho-nian myself, and im doing some research on the bi suite,i thimk the possibilities with the google maps integration, are far away of what we can imagine now. I try to understand all the integrations for doing something like this by myself (another regions, another marks) but sadly , even having some knowledge of pentaho, i couldnt resolve the pentaho+gMAPS+ajax equation. Is there any tutorial, help or how-to on this?

Regards.(Un saludo)
Alvaro.

Gretchen Moran said...

Alvaro,

It looks complex at first, but if you get yourself a short AJAX tutorial, that helps to sort it out a bit. We also should have some good documentation before month end from Pentaho. I will include it in the newsletter and another blog entry when that doc is available.

Welcome to the Nation!
G

Anonymous said...

Hi G,

Pardon the confusion as I'm very new to Pentaho. After installing the latest release, I don't see the gMap example. Can you help point me in the right direction?

Best,
--s

Hari Nair said...

It was interesting, going through the blog. I was trying mondrian with PROGRESS database and failed.

Probably if you can suggest the corrct progress jdbc driver, installation procedure, corections to be made in datasource.xml and jsp files, that will be help to me as well as other progress users

Thks